Pyramid Points

  • Musings from the Streaming Media East 2015 Conference 05 June 2015 TV Everyone: the rise of smartphone producers and niche consumers leads to difficult decisions for pay-TV operators. In recent years the industry has used the acronym TVE, or television everywhere, to describe OTT services offered by cable, satellite and IPTV providers that let customers view VoD and linear content everywhere, or at least everywhere they have a compatible device and an Internet c…
  • LTE on track to account for 4.2% of Latin America’s total mobile subscriptions at year-end 2015 07 May 2015 The deployment of LTE networks is in full swing in most major Latin American markets; however, adoption remains low. As of March 2015, 49 LTE networks have been commercially launched in Latin America, and more LTE launches are expected in 2015 in Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru and Venezuela. The deployment of LTE networks is in full swing in most major Latin American markets; however, …
  • Anatel will auction up to four satellite orbital slots, but will there be any local companies among the winners? 06 May 2015 On March 24, 2015, Brazil’s National Telecommunication Agency, Anatel, announced the auction of up to four satellite orbital positions. The auction will take place in May and the minimum price of each orbital position is $9m (approximately R$27m) for 15 years of exploration rights. There are currently over 70 satellites orbiting over Brazil, and most are managed by foreign companies such as Echos…
  • Telecom Italia launches quad-play in partnership with Sky TV 06 May 2015 On April 16, 2015, Telecom Italia (TIM) became the latest European operator to launch a quadruple-play offer, in cooperation with Sky TV, accelerating the convergence trend in Italy. As part of a special promotion, users can get TIM’s SMART quadruple-play plan for €39 ($47.58) per month during the first year, after which the monthly charge will climb to its normal price of €58.90 ($71.86). The pla…
  • Claro Honduras and Movistar Panama launch LTE in Central America 08 April 2015 As of March 2015, LTE services are available in four out of six markets in Central America. Claro Honduras and Movistar Panama are the most recent operators to launch LTE in Central America, raising the total to seven.  EXHIBIT 1: OPERATORS OFFERING LTE SERVICES IN CENTRAL AMERICA, MARCH 2015 Source: 4G Americas, Pyramid Research   Claro joins Tigo as an LTE provider in Honduras Tigo was th…
  • Five reasons why Jasper is doing so well in Latin America 08 April 2015 Jasper received the “Best Mobile Innovation for the Internet of Things” award for its cloud-based IoT/M2M management connectivity platform at the GSMA Global Mobile Awards at Mobile World Congress 2015. In Latin America, where Jasper has already sealed agreements with Telefonica, America Movil, Tigo and Personal Telecom, IoT/M2M connections will reach 25.9m by year-end 2015, a 27% increase over 2…
  • Orange acquires the remaining 5% stake in Mobinil from Orascom Telecom Media and Technology 26 March 2015 Orange and Orascom announced back on February 23 that a common agreement has been signed regarding Orascom’s remaining direct and indirect stakes in the Egyptian telecom operator, Mobinil, for $240m. Through the deal, Orange exercises its option to acquire Orascom’s remaining 5% stake and 28.75% voting rights, bringing its total ownership of the telco to 99%. The remaining 1% continues to be publi…
  • Movistar launches LTE in Venezuela, but challenges loom ahead 25 February 2015 Country-specific factors will hinder Movistar Venezuela’s ability to extend coverage of its LTE network and to accelerate LTE subscriber growth. On February 19, 2015, Movistar Venezuela announced the commercial launch of its LTE network in the capital Caracas and eastern city of Puerto la Cruz. The mobile operator is using a long-awaited, recently awarded 20MHz of spectrum in the AWS band, in whi…
  • M2M cloud platforms accelerate MNO's time to market for valued added services 15 October 2014 M2M Cloud platforms help Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) develop services, manage and assemble service packages that telcos would otherwise have to integrate themselves, reducing both time-to-market cycles and CAPEX for product launches. Axeda and Jasper have adopted vertical-focused M2M cloud platform strategies to help MNOs capitalize on the IoT and M2M opportunity. It is high time for MNOs to …
  • Apple Watch Overcomes Design Challenges, Sets New Standard for Functionality 16 September 2014 At the launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus on September 9, Apple also announced the Apple Watch. At Pyramid Research, we like the Apple Watch design options and user interface, as well as the range of functions, connectivity and applications the company has managed to pack into such a small device, and expect the Apple Watch to lead the proliferation of smartwatches over the next few years. Its bat…